Although this weed is considered particularly annoying, did you know:
- In the 1800’s people would pull grass out to allow more room for weeds in their yards such as dandelion?
- Dandelions have the longest flowering season of any flower
- While open in the day, dandelions close at night
- Every part of the dandelion can be used: food (leaves), medicine (stem), dye (yellow petals)
- Seeds carry as far as 5 miles before they land and immediately re-root themselves
- They love in low nitrogen grass free zones, they can be killed organically by using fertilizer rich in nitrogen. Nitrogen rich fertilizers are organic in nature.
- When dandelions begin to flower, the nectar and pollen for the bees is available and we know that honey bee season is close!